Monday, April 14, 2014

Baked Fish Tacos with Lime Slaw

Here's an experiment for my Monday night dinner. Last week I watched Food Network's Anne Burrell make fish tacos. I love spicy fish wrapped up in a tortilla with a cool coleslaw - who doesn't? Her recipe looked easy enough so I thought I'd try it out. It's also baked, not fried like many other recipes I've seen out there.

After failing to find her exact recipe, I re-watched her video and came up with my own creation. She had some extra things added into the slaw. I didn't have all of the extra veggies on hand, and the slaw came out great without them. You can easily adjust spices for even the most delicate of palates. My husband and I enjoy a little heat, but I don't think it was overdone. 

Let me know how you customized this recipe for yourself in the comments!







Ingredients

For the fish:
1 pound tilapia, or other firm white fish
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
juice and zest of one lime

For the slaw:
1 package (16 oz.) of coleslaw mix
1/2 cup mayonaise
juice and zest of one lime
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
corn or flour tortillas; your choice!

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap your tortillas in aluminum foil; put them in the oven.
Zest and juice the limes into two different bowls. I used one bowl for the fish and one for the slaw, to simplify things. In the first bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lime juice and zest to incorporate it. Whisk in smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Add the bite sized tilapia to the marinade. You can marinate it overnight, but with the lime juice I would suggest only a few hours maximum.

In the second bowl, whisk the mayonnaise into the zested and juiced lime. Add in the cumin, chili powder and cayenne, along with salt and pepper; whisk to combine. Toss the cole slaw into the dressing and let sit in the refrigerator while you finish the fish. This step can be done the day before, or just a few hours before.

Bake the tilapia on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (easy clean up) in a single layer for 8-10 minutes, or until the fish is white and flaky.

Wrap up the baked fish, with some slaw and even a little avocado - enjoy!


Low carb option: ditch the tortilla, and serve the fish over a bed of coleslaw! All of of the flavor AND low in carbs! Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment